Program Assistant – Southwest NM Food Hub Driver
August 23, 2019
By NCFC Human Resources
Seeking motivated individual interested in growing the local food economy. NCFC and SWNM Food Hub is hiring a temporary program assistant (driver) to help the food hub expand. Job primarily consists of driving (up to 10 – 15 hours per week) to coordinate local food pick-ups. Experience in farming, local foods, food systems, business and marketing a plus. Desire to positively impact our local food system is necessary!
Duties include driving, engaging with farmers, occasional order preparation and food packing, occasional marketing and travel within the region as necessary. Inquiries should be made to Ben Rasmussen at (575) 597-0032 and send resumes to email@example.com.
The National Center for Frontier Communities
Position: Program Assistant – Southwest NM Food Hub Driver
Reports to: Program Manager
Date Reviewed/Revised: 7-24-19
Date of Board Approval: 7/25/2019
Job Classification: Part Time 10-15hrs/wk. /Hourly/Non-exempt TEMPORARY
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
POSITION FUNCTION SUMMARY
Under the direction of the Program Manager the Program Assistant supports the effective and efficient administration of the food hub and relevant NCFC programs and activities by providing direct assistance to program staff.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Project Manager, the Program Assistant assists with the implementation of all food hub activities and is key player in the development of the food hub as a growing, mission focused business.
- Provide outstanding customer service, maintain positive grower and client relationships.
- Occasional assistance with sorting and packaging of foods for markets.
- Assists supervisor or team members to maintain and update the Program’s web site/social media including obtaining photos at farm-sites and pick up locations.
- Attends all meetings specified as mandatory by direct supervisor
- Engage with regional farmers to coordinate produce pick up/deliveries.
- Inspect produce to ensure quality/quantity and salability.
- Driving from Silver City to multiple pick up points in Las Cruces, Deming, Arizona and other spots as necessary.
- Coordinate delivery logistics to multiple markets within the region and in nearby metro-areas such as Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Tucson and more.
- Develop and maintain relationships with many buyers, farmers, ranchers, drivers, market coordinators and other local food stakeholders.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies and campaigns as necessary for the growth and expansion of local food sales through the hub.
- Acquisition of sufficient packing materials through coordinating with local retail locations and storing them at hub location.
- Data entry and bookkeeping for all hub related transactions.
- Represent the food hub in the community.
- Take active role in the development of food hub including visioning, strategizing, tactics and operations.
- High school diploma or GED and minimum 1 year relevant experience working with local foods, farms or food producers.
- Experience in health and human services and/or community development.
- Motivated by the growth of business. Willingness to take active role in the continued development of local food business.
- Skills: project development and implementation, project assessment and reporting, detail oriented, organized, team player, coordinate multiple tasks.
- Ability to travel with reliable vehicle and valid drivers license, throughout the state.
- Working knowledge of Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Background Check prior to start of employment.
- Associates degree preferred
- Experience working in rural/frontier environments
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish and English) a plus.
- Ability to use internet for research, competent in social media applications, Microsoft Suite software, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Occasional prolonged standing/walking
- Occasional lifting of supplies and/or equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Frequent driving 4-6 hours at a time.
- Frequent time outside
- Frequent use of computers and keyboard.
- Considerable reaching, sitting, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Considerable use of keyboard
- Frequent pressure due to freight and sales schedule, deadlines and working with the public.
- Must be able to travel locally.
- Must be willing to do in-state and regional travel as needed.